Welcome to Kremnica
Kremnica is commonly attributed as golden. The coins minted in the past supported many rulers. The historical picture of Kremnica is made of the mosaic of stories hidden in every street and house...
It comprises of a complex of buildings from the 14th - 15th century and is protected by the double fortifications which are linked with one of the best preserved town walls in Slovakia.Read more
Skalka relax centrum
Prepared to serve to professional and also recreational sportsmen all year round. The most popular and most visited part of the facility is wellness, which allows to regenerate your body after more or less intensive training.Read more
The international show of polite humour, independent satire and cheerful recession of the old tradition (1981) takes place here every year in the end of August.Read more
Historical centre of Kremnica is enriched with the stone wall linked to the fortification of the town castle. The wall surrounding the area of 45 000 m2 was built in the first third of the 15th century at the command of the king Sigismund on the fortification of important royal towns from 1405. In some places it reaches to 5-7 m.
In the southern corners it is fortified by two round towers - Red in the south-eastern and Black in the south-western corner. Similar round tower, which was torn down when enlarging the mint, was located in the north-western corner. Slot embrasures in the crown of the wall (for example in the Red tower) were accessible by a wooden pathway. In the lower parts of wall and on bastions various forms of key embrasures are preserved.
The town could be entered via three gates - Lower, Upper and Small, called Bystrická or Türl. Last two were demolished in 1872-80. Active defense of the Upper and Lower gates in the 16th century was improved by barbican standing in front of the gate attached to the wall thus doubling the fortification. Barbican with square shaped floor plan with vaulted space on the ground floor stands out of the town walls. In the tower of the barbican there is a vaulted passage with stone benches and semi-circled portal was closed with a drawbridge. The whole object is characterized by early renaissance relief and construction details. Except typical fortification features - stone gargoyles, pitchy noses and embrasures, it is especially the semi-circle renaissance oriel on the front facade. The upper part is dominated by the stone aedicule with the relief of St. Catherine with a sword, holding the coat of arms of the town and the state. On the sides there are the stone plates with symbols of gold (Sun) and silver (Moon). In the inner portal of the tower there are two round medallions set in with portraits the Emperor Ferdinand I and his wife Anna. The inscription states the year 1539. In the 19th century sculptures of miner and minter were added.